Test conclusion: you have to know that
- Good suction power
- Good navigation
- Detects obstacles and carpets
- Extraction station included
- Wiping function quite timid
- Sometimes a bit loud
The best robot vacuum cleaners
Ecovacs Deebot N8 Pro +: It’s insideEcovacs describes its “N” class as “nice & neat”. In order to leave the smart home “nice and clean”, these cleaning skills are integrated in the N8:
- Intelligent room detection: The device has laser navigation on board, which measures the apartment precisely, cleans it lane by lane and uses various sensors to orient itself in the room. Fall sensors, which reliably prevent the vacuum cleaner from tumbling on the stairs to the ground floor, are included.
- Start and operation fold comfortably via app on mobile phone or tablet – as well as by pressing the buttons on the device; Ecovacs does not include a remote control.
- the period is up to three hours. A six-hour break from cleaning is required to recharge the empty battery.
- Automatic functions: When the battery is empty, the device automatically returns to the charging station and continues cleaning after charging. Cleaning plans for cleaning when you are absent can be created in the app.
- Volume: The noise level when vacuuming on carpets is around 66 decibels. The vacuum cleaner sounds as loud as a television set at room volume. Louder than wiping and scrubbing.
- Capacity: The bagless dust container swallows around 420 milliliters of dirt. If it is full or the cleaning tour is done, the N8 Pro tested here in the plus version empties the box using the suction station supplied. The attached dust bag has a capacity of 2.5 liters. 240 milliliters of washer fluid fit into the tank of the N8. There is no built-in HEPA filter for allergy sufferers.
- Measures and weight: The teat is 9.4 centimeters high, 35.3 centimeters in diameter and weighs 3.6 kilograms. With its height, the device fits under many beds, sofas and chests of drawers.
- Scope of delivery: Robot vacuum cleaner, charging station including suction station (only plus version), power supply unit, side brushes (both sides), filter, wiping module including wiping cloths, cleaning tools.
This is how thoroughly the new Ecovacs robot vacuumsIn the first trial rounds, the vacuum cleaner got to know the premises of the test apartment and then faced the stressful cleaning test: The testers scattered 100 grams of dirt, consisting of 70 grams of cat litter, 20 grams of muesli and 10 grams of wood shavings. The N8 now had to repeatedly show how much it collects from the mixture from the carpet and PVC floor. His cleaning skills were impressive: with a considerable 93.5 grams, the device read almost everything. This worked just as well on the smooth flooring as it did on the carpet. The brush combed it neatly and tickled a lot of dirt out of the fibers. Not only on the surfaces, but also around table legs, hardly anything remained. On top of that, the smart helper conscientiously took care of the edges and corners of the rooms. The N8 collected 14 of the 20 corn kernels laid out – a decent achievement.
This is how smart the Ecovacs Deebot N8 Pro + cleansIn a small “observation tower” on top of the device sits a laser that looks far into the rooms with a view of ten meters and is supposed to ensure that the vacuum cleaner always knows where to go. The cleaning work is accompanied by the Ecovacs Home app. The device could be easily set up there and linked to the home WLAN. The app shows a virtual map after the first tour. Among other things, the cleaning trips can be tracked and cleaning schedules can be set. If desired, users can enter rooms and restricted areas in the floor plan via the app. Remote access works when you are out and about or via voice control. With Amazon Alexa or the Google Assistant, the vacuum cleaner can be sent on demand. Practical: Depending on the surface, the N8 automatically adjusts the suction power – more powerful on deep carpeting, more cautious on smooth surfaces. If necessary, you can regulate the suction power in the app in four stages.
Slimmed down: The N8 lacks these functionsN8 has inherited many talents from the test winner T8. But it also lacks some clever functions – these are:
- True Detect 3D instead of Aivi: The N8 does not want to let itself be thrown out of step by a messy apartment. For this purpose, there is another laser in the front of the device, which observes the cleaning run and is supposed to prevent the device from moving or even sucking up small objects lying around. That worked quite well in the test. But he lacks the T8’s camera with Aivi technology (“Artificial Intelligence and Visual Interpretation”) for the sensitivity that is sometimes necessary. If it discovered an obstacle in the test, it braked the robot, stopped the side brushes and skilfully steered around it with a little distance. The T8 left shoes, socks and cell phone cables a little more reliable than the N8 tried to do.
- No post-cleaning, no tracking shots: The T8 also shows the discovered objects on the map in the app and offers targeted post-cleaning after they have been cleared away. If desired, the top model can also show live and color camera images of the cleaning tours on the mobile phone. With the N8, users have to do without these smart features.
- Can wipe but not scrub: The N8 can also wipe. To do this, a mopping mat docks onto the filled water tank. A technology that is not very convincing even with the competition. Because timidly moistening the mop and pulling it behind you with a little pressure is more like “stroking” the floor. After all, the amount of water can be increased in the app. Heavy soiling or dried-on stains did not remove that either. Here the “Ozmo Pro” idea had proven itself with the T8: Thanks to the additional water tank with water pump and vibrating plate, the test winner can be attested to a rudimentary scrubbing.