- Very high pace of work
- High game speed
- Display with short response time (11.68 milliseconds)
- Comparatively light for a gaming notebook
- Lots of connections
- Additional M.2 SSD and 2.5-inch SSD or 2.5-inch HDD can be retrofitted
- Display with poor color fidelity
- Very loud under full load (6.8 sone)
- Heavy power supply (828 grams)
Medion Erazer P15805 in the test: 15.6 incherThe new Aldi notebook is a 15.6-inch device – a compact format for a gaming laptop. However, gamers often turn to larger 17.3-inch models. However, the Medion Erazer P15805 is not that slim: It is 36.5 centimeters wide and 25.8 centimeters deep – and thus slightly smaller than an A3 page. In addition, at 3.4 centimeters, it is anything but thin. Why? After all, there isn’t even a DVD drive in the case. If you still need one, you have to buy an external DVD burner. The large overall height is due to the comparatively strong technology inside: It develops a lot of warmth during demanding tasks and when gaming, which needs air and space to breathe.
Backlit keyboardWhen you open the notebook, you are looking at a keyboard whose letters on the black keys are clearly legible in white. If desired, the input device can be backlit in multiple colors – ideal in dark surroundings. Great: The Aldi notebook also has a separate number pad, texts can be typed comfortably in the test despite the short key travel, the keys have a good pressure point and a pleasant surface. This also applies to the generous touchpad, which has two separate buttons (left and right mouse button). These are often missing in current notebooks because manufacturers integrate them into the touchpad. But gaming via the touchpad doesn’t really work – a separate gaming mouse is recommended for gaming.
8 detail photosTake a look at the Medion Erazer P15805
Full HD displayThe Medion Erazer P15805 shows programs, photos and games on a 15.6 inch display (39.5 centimeters screen diagonal) in full HD definition with 1920×1080 pixels. Shortcoming: In the test, the color fidelity was only 67.1 percent. That doesn’t interfere with gaming, working and surfing the Internet, but it does with editing photos. Good for that: The display offers a lot of contrast if desired, and it changed the image in 11.68 milliseconds. There are no ugly streaks in fast action scenes.
Under the hoodBut a decent display is far from making a good notebook. What is under the hood of the gaming notebook, which weighs just 2.183 grams?
- Processor: Intel’s current Coffee Lake processor Core i5-9300H serves as the main drive. It has four cores that work with a maximum of 2.4 gigahertz (GHz) if necessary. In exhausting applications, a single core clocks at up to 4.1 GHz.
- Random access memory: The processor is supported by a generously sized 16 gigabyte RAM of the fast DDR4 type.
- Graphics chip: The image reproduction is not handled by the UHD 620 unit implanted in the CPU, but by the separate Nvidia graphics chip GeForce GTX 1660 Ti.
- SSD: Windows 10, programs, data and games store gamers on an M.2 SSD with a fast PCI Express connection and effectively 477 gigabytes of memory. If that’s not enough, you can retrofit an additional M2 SSD and a 2.5-inch SSD or hard drive.
A lot of steam
|processor||Intel Core i5-9300H|
|Graphics chip||Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660Ti|
|Display||15.6 inches (1920×1080 pixels)|
|Dimensions||36.2 x 25.8 x 3.4 centimeters|
|Weight||2.183 grams, power adapter: 828 grams|
|Tempo with Office / Tempo in video editing||very fast (84.96%) / very fast (68.93%)|
|Game speed (1920×1080 pixels / 3840×2160 pixels)||very fluid (53/16 frames per second)|
|Color fidelity / brightness distribution (deviation)||low (67.10%) / somewhat low (16.60%)|
|Image quality (visual test on the display)||high (slightly pale colors)|
|Battery life (work / video) / charging time||somewhat short (2:41 / 2:39) / 3:12 hours|
|Noises (office / video / full load / games)||a little loud (0.6 sone / 0.3 sone / 6.8 sone / 6.8 sone)|
|RAM (built-in / expandable to a maximum)||16/32 gigabytes|
|Storage (size, type)||477 gigabytes (SSD)|
|connections||2x USB 3.1 Gen 1 type A, 1x USB 3.1 Gen 1 type C (with DP), 1x USB 2.0, 1x audio input, 1x audio output, 1x HDMI, 2x DP (1x mini-DP, 1x via adapter), 1x network (1000 Mbit)|
|Radio links||WLAN-ac (2.4 and 5 GHz), Bluetooth 5.0|
|Operation of the keyboard / touchpad||comfortable / comfortable|
|Operation of the touch screen||unavailable|