The Asus Rog Phone 3 underlines the claim to be a gaming smartphone with its distinctive exterior and LED logo on the back. A second USB-C port is located on the side of the housing frame, which also outputs display signals. So you can comfortably charge the smartphone while playing in landscape format. There are also two touch-sensitive surfaces, called Air Trigger by Asus, which act as shoulder buttons in the housing frame. Swiping and pressing trigger different actions in games.
The Rog Phone is the first smartphone available in this country that is powered by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 865+. In the Plus version of the Snapdragon 865, the fast core, the Kryo 585 based on ARMs Cortex-A77, manages 3.1 instead of 2.84 GHz. According to Qualcomm, the Adreno 650 GPU calculates up to 10 percent faster.
In fact, the Rog Phone is the fastest Android smartphone we’ve tested so far. This is confirmed by the benchmarks. The Rog Phone is between 5 and 10 percent ahead of smartphones with Snapdragon 865 in both graphics and arithmetic benchmarks. But there is no noticeable difference in use – at least not because of the SoC, because devices equipped with Snapdragon 865 are all current applications grown. Thanks to 16 GB of main memory, the Rog Phone easily keeps several memory-hungry applications open in the background.
- Access to all heise + content
- exclusive tests, advice & background: independent, critically well-founded
- Read c’t, iX, Technology Review, Mac & i, Make, c’t photography directly in your browser
- register once – read on all devices – can be canceled monthly
- first month free, then 9.95 € per month
- Weekly newsletter with personal reading recommendations from the editor-in-chief
Start FREE month
Start your FREE month now
Already subscribed to heise +?
Sign up and read
Register now and read articles right away
More information about heise +